Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Going Bananas!

While I was shopping in the produce section this morning, I noticed a grocery basket full of overripe bananas. Oh wow, I thought to myself...marked down, over ripe bananas = Banana Nut Bread!

Now, I am not talking just any Banana Nut Bread. You may even think you don't like banana nut bread. Well, you really haven't had any until you have some of this decadent, moist, caramelized miracle.

Soooooo, it took me about 3 seconds to decide to scoop up a bunch of those bananas. You see, I have found that peeled, diced and frozen, these bananas will keep for quite some time, and make banana nut bread extraordinaire at the drop of a hat.

Every time I have someone try this, they want MORE! It is hard to let it cool long enough before it is disappearing. I found this recipe while surfing for banana recipes one year after a party where I served Bananas Foster (another really fabulous sweet thing), and I had a bunch of bananas left over. I cut them up and put them in the freezer and used them a month later to make this wonderful bread.

I promise you this recipe is worth the time....and, it is easy!

BEST BANANA NUT BREAD EVER

2 Cups White Sugar (or 1 1/2 white and 1/2 cup brown)
1 Cup (2 sticks) Butter
4 Eggs, beaten
2 Cups mashed (I put em in the blender) overripe bananas
1 Cup chopped Nuts - I have used walnuts and pecans, pick your favorite!
2 Cups All Purpose Flour
1 Teaspoon Salt
2 Teaspoons Baking Soda


1. PREHEAT oven to 350 degrees F (175 C). Grease a large Bundt Pan (using the
wrappers from the butter you will use in the recipe.
2. Cream butter and sugar until smooth. Add bananas, eggs and walnuts stirring
until well blended.
3. Sift together, flour, salt and baking soda.
4. Dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix until blended.
5. Pour into Bundt Pan
6. Bake for 60 to 70 minutes or until a knife inserted into the crown of the bread
comes out clean.
7. Cook in pan for 5-8 minutes, and turn out onto rack.

If your family is like mine, half the bread will be gone before it is even cool!
I don't know how it happens, but the bread has a carmelized texture on the outside and is ever so moist. Great for Holiday Gift Giving! Enjoy....

Til next time...Okaloosa Girl signing off....


No comments:

Post a Comment