Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Jeepers Peepers-It's a Golden Doodle

While I was at the soccer games this weekend, I met a woman with a sweet, well-behaved doggie.  She informed me that the dog was a loveable Mutt, and I was reminded of an article I had written on these wonderful dogs..I decided to share it with all of you!
A Golden Doodle!

I had just settled into my seat in First Class when I heard whining and smelled the familiar sweet odor of a new puppy.  As the stewardess passed out water to the passengers I heard her ask, "What kind of puppy is he?"  The reply surprised me.

"Why he's a Golden Doodle."  I pondered for a moment just what kind of animal this was.  A childhood story about a goose who laid golden eggs popped into my head, and I couldn't help but wonder if this dog laid golden "doodles."  Fortunately, the puppy was quiet during the flight and I was left wondering just what kind of critter he was.

When I returned home, I couldn't resist Googling Golden Doodles.  As it turns out, they are a mix between a Golden Retriever and a Poodle.  Interesting, but what is even more interesting is the fact that this is only one of hundreds of new "hybrid" dogs available to the crazed pet owners of today.  It seems that the breeders have finally realized what us average folks knew along...mutts are better!!!

Having owned everything from Chihuahua to Great Dane, purebred and mutt, I have to tell you that my favorites have always been mutts.  Now some may disagree, but this new trend is something to look at.  The breeders are saying that these dogs of "dissimilar parents" grow better, have better temperaments and less physical problems.  They are being marketed as "designer" dogs, and people are paying big bucks for them.  I mean thousands of dollars for a mutt.  Go figure.

My first mutt was a Chesapeake Bay Retriever/Labrador mix, and he was a great dog.  He loved everyone, especially children, and you could teach him any trick in the book in less than fifteen minutes.  He had a beautiful black, shiny coat which was curly right down the middle of his back.  His eyes were black as coal, and he looked like he was smiling all the time.  I can't remember why, but the kids named him Peepers.  We got him free because he was a "Mutt."  He loved to retrieve anything from rocks to gigantic bullfrogs (which he never injured in the process).  He could climb ladders and open doors.  Needless to say, he was the children's all time favorite dog. 

One hot, muggy Summer day I came home to find a gigantic snapping turtle in the kiddie pool in my back yard.  When I asked the children how it got there, they described in detail how they had gotten Peppers to herd it through a drain pipe and into a large trash can which they carried home and dumped into the pool!  I am sharing this to show you there is nothing this dog wouldn't do for those kids.

I have owned several purebred dogs, an Airedale Terrier (beautiful, sweet, but very high-strung), a Great Dane (large, friendly, a lover of children and a complete Klutz who was scared of his own shadow).  I even owned a tiny three pound Chihuahua who loved me, but was a total buzz saw for anyone else.  The first dog I owned after I was married was a beautiful, intelligent German Shepherd.  He was so protective of me and a wonderful companion, but he wasn't very fond of my husband.  As it turned out, he was a better judge of character than I was!   The mutts, however, are still my favorites.

Examining the list of hundreds of "designer dogs" currently available, I didn't come across on with Peepers background.  Guess the American Canine Hybrid Club has not recognized that mix yet.  I did find some others that made me raise an eyebrow though, like the Papi-poo (there's that poo thing again).  How about the Bagle Hound?  Nope, I didn't spell that wrong, and do you walk it or eat it?
There are an endless number of others from every letter of the alphabet:  Afollie (Afghan Hound/Collie mix), Beagleman (Beagle/Doberman), Chiweenie (Chihuahua/Japanese Chin) and the Cock-A-Mo which is an American Eskimo/Cocker mix.  That one sounds more like a bird to me.  The list goes on and there are such ridiculous names that any respectable dog would be embarrassed to be introduced as such.

When I think back over the years and remember how many times people asked me about my dogs, I replied, "Oh, he's just a Mutt."  I regret that now, as each and every one of them was a treasure...I just didn't realize how much at the time.

Buster The Wonder Dog!
My last official Mutt was a part Golden Retriever who lived to the ripe old age of 17.  He's been gone over two years now and I still miss him.  He was smart and loving and would let the kids put bows on his ears without complaint.  Such a Mutt!

You can go online and order just about any mix you want now.  Breeders are coming up with new mies every day, and thousands of people are clamoring to have a "unique" dog.  If you want a good giggle, go to www.dogbreedinfo.com and have a look-see.  You just won't believe it.

But the best advice I have for you, is if you are looking for a really GREAT animal, go to the rescue sites or your local animal shelter.  My Buddy is a rescue animal, as have been most of my dogs.  When you give them a good home they know it and they will pay you back with endless love and affection.

My little Buddy!

No comments:

Post a Comment