Saturday, September 3, 2011

Bring On The Caffeine

Sleeping at the wheel is a good way to keep from growing old.

Hope everyone has a wonderful holiday starting today! If you are driving, watch the traffic and be extra careful out there. I would love to be heading for the water, but it just isn't going to work out right now. Perhaps for Thanksgiving. Between grandparents day, doctors appointments and upcoming eye surgery, I have got to stay close to home this weekend.

Although I am not planning on going anywhere special for this Holiday, I am planning on making brats and kraut for my hubby...his idea of celebrating Labor Day. We are celebrating at home by firing up the grill and having the little ones over. I have already made some potato salad to go along with the dogs and will make some special pasta salad later. I have a friend in Florida who would rather have my home made potato salad than ice cream. In fact, every time I visit, I make it and it isn't unusual for me to find her having it for a bedtime snack. We laugh about it and she just says, "they call me Tater Salad." It is the small memories that are so much fun.

I am planning on stealing a nap sometime today. My little roommate woke up at 4 AM this morning, and was in the kitchen banging cabinet doors and such. I think she was actually trying to wake me up so she would have company. She knew we were planning to go out to breakfast, and she was ready! Sigh... I have just got to find a way of getting her to stay up later than 8:30 at night.

Ashlyn work up at 6:30, and we are off to Denny's for our Breakfast with Ashlyn ritual, but I am not sure I am quite awake enough to eat at this point! Bring on the Caffeine!!

It's going to be a long day.

RECIPE FOR THE DAY




Here's a nice fresh tasting salad which is great for a picnic or barbecue!

SPINACH, TOMATO, AND FRESH MOZZARELLA PASTA SALAD WITH
HOMEMADE ITALIAN DRESSING

2 1/2 cups multigrain rotini pasta (you can use any pasta you like)
Italian Dressing *recipe follows
2 cups sweet grape tomatoes
1 6 ounce package fresh baby spinach
4 ounces FRESH mozzarella cheese, cubed (the quality of your cheese is important)

1. Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat, rinse with
cold water, and drain.
2. While pasta is cooking prepare Italian Dressing. Combine dressing and tomatoes
in a large bowl. Add pasta and spinach; toss well, and top with cheese.

Makes 4, 1 1/2 cup servings.

Calories 450 per serving


Italian Dressing

1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 TBSP chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
1 TBSP chopped fresh oregano or fresh basil
2 TBSP extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 Cloves garlic, minced

1. Combine all ingredients, stirring with a whisk.
Yields 4 2 TBSP servings.

Calories 67 per serving





No comments:

Post a Comment