Monday, September 5, 2011

Labor Day, What's Up?

Okay, it is the last "Summer" Holiday? So what are you doing today? It is rainy here this morning, and plans for a cookout are kinda "iffy."


Are you cooking today? These two have already participated in a 1 Mile Fun Run...good for them! Unfortunately, I am in the midst of a gout attack on my left foot, and running is not an option for me! Walking is a little uncomfortable as well. So I am on the Cherry juice, water and naproxen sodium regimen.

I love crabs, steamed blue crabs, stone crab claws, king crab, snow crabs...bring 'em on! Those are always a good option for a family gathering. It is so nice now that you can go "online" and order your favorite crab or even lobster and have it shipped to your front door. So, even though you no longer live near the deep blue sea you can still have that seafood.

My hubby's favorite grilling item is Brats. He loves to do them on the grill and then slather them with sauer kraut and mustard and chase 'em with a beer. I am kind of a hot dog girl, and I need a little ketchup to go with mustard and onions! I can home made salsa and it is great with chips! I have already made my famous potato salad, so that is a given. I am a potato salad queen! When I owned my deli in Florida, I used to make 20 pounds of it at a time...whew, that is a lot of potato salad, but it sold like crazy.

As you can see, the cooking today is going to be done by hubby. It's grillin' time and I am watching! Then again, maybe a key lime pie is in order...hmmmmmm.

Buddy the Boston is hiding. He hates rain, and there is a lot of it today. You literally have to "push" him out the door to go potty on rainy days. This little guy just doesn't like to get wet. Right now he is curled up beside me on the couch. I am sure he will come alive when the grill dogs come out though.

Well, whatever you are planning, make sure it is a fun day. Thank God for your job if you have one, and pray for those still looking. Happy Labor Day wherever you are!

RECIPE OF THE DAY

This picture is taken before the whipped cream trimming is added!

Key Lime Pie

This bottled key lime juice is fabulous, and I keep it on the shelf in the pantry....you do have to refrigerate after opening, but it is every bit as good as fresh limes..

INGREDIENTS

* 1/2 cup fresh lime juice (12 to 15 key limes or 3 to 4 common limes)
* 4 teaspoons grated lime zest (great if you have it, but ya won't miss it)
* 4 egg yolks
* 1 - 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
* 11 graham crackers
* 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
* 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

PREP WORK
If you are using fresh limes, then zest them before juicing.
Cut the limes in half and squeeze out the juice being careful not to include any seeds.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Process the graham crackers in a food processor or blender and then melt the butter and have it ready.

1. Mix graham cracker crumbs and sugar in another bowl.

2. Add butter and stir with a fork until well blended.

3. Pour this mixture into a 9-inch pie pan and press over the bottom and up the sides of the pan.

4. Bake on the center rack for about 15 minutes until the crust is lightly brown, remove and let cool to room temperature.


5. Whisk the egg yolks and lime zest together in a bowl until light green - about 2 minutes

6. Add and beat in the condensed milk, then lime juice.

8. Pour the lime filling into crust, spread evenly, and then bake for 15 minutes.

9. Remove from oven and cool to room temperature.

10. Refrigerate for at least three hours until well chilled.

You may top with whipped cream or meringue if you like, but it is just as good as is! I also keep "premade" graham cracker crusts in my freezer for convenience.
This is my grandson, Eric's favorite dessert, and I like to whip it up for a surprise sometimes!

No comments:

Post a Comment