Sunday, September 4, 2011

Stormy Weather and Beef Stroganoff

It's that time of year again. The clouds rolled in early this morning, the effects of Tropical Storm Lee seem to be moving our way.

Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana are feeling it in a big way. Then there is Katia milling around out there in the Atlantic, now forecast to become a Category 2...and heading for somewhere on the East Coast.

We need the rain, but I am hoping that rain is all we get. We have had a couple years of rough weather here, with tornadoes in the Macon area where there has been a lot of damage with downed trees and damaged houses.

Our insurance premiums have climbed by over three hundred dollars a year. I guess it was to be expected with all the flooding, earthquakes, tornadoes and such we have seen of late. Sometimes you just need to be thankful when you get up in the morning if your house hasn't blown away!

It has been heart wrenching to watch all the damage in Joplin and other areas. North Georgia took quite a hit this year too. Even right across the road from me there were many downed trees during a recent tornado. We were blessed. We were less than a quarter mile from some serious damage.

You just never know what the weather is going to do. And, then there is that earthquake near Washington, D.C. I never thought there would be an earthquake in that area. What a shocker! I always said I didn't want to live in California because the earth shakes there....now it seems like the earth is beginning to shake in a lot of places.

As I listen to the rain on the tin roof of the porch, I am taken back to my youth, and a time when we didn't have the early warnings that a hurricane was coming. First the rain would appear, and then the winds, and I can remember the house shaking so hard I thought it would come down around us. Fortunately, it didn't. We were without power for over two weeks one time after a hurricane made a direct hit on us. That left an impression on me even though I was was only 10 or 11 years old at the time.

It is so dreary that I am feeling like making something special for dinner today, so here is the recipe I would like to share...

BEEF STROGANOFF

1 pound lean beef cut into small pieces
3 Tablespoons oil
1 large onion, diced
1 pound sliced mushrooms
4 Tablespoons Worchestershire Sauce
8 Ounces Sour Cream
Salt and Pepper to Taste

Brown beef in large skillet and remove from pan while..you begin to
Saute onions until lightly browned
Add Worchestershire Sauce
Then add mushrooms and cook just until done.
Add Beef back into pan and season with Salt and Pepper
Stir in Sour Cream and heat just until thoroughly heated...do not overcook

Serve over Egg Noodles.

Good sides with this are green beans or broccoli.

Very yummy and easy to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment