Tuesday, October 11, 2011
Fall at Lake Tobosofkee
It is such a peaceful and beautiful place to spend a little time on a lovely Fall afternoon. The picnic tables are placed nicely so that you could take yourselves a little lunch, even a gourmet on if you are in the mood and have a peaceful or romantic meal by the lake.
The ducks will come by and ask you to share, but they are not obnoxious about it and are quite entertaining to watch. So many times we only think about the lake in the Summer with boating and swimming, but Tobosofkee is absolutely beautiful in the Fall too! So take a drive soon with a family member and check it out.
There are playgrounds for the children, public restrooms an covered pavilions. There is also camping available for those of you who might like to spend a lovely weekend camping, cooking outside, fishing and just enjoying the beautiful Fall weather here in Central Georgia.
35 Miles Of Shoreline.
6600 Moseley Dixon Rd.
I-475, Exit 5
FAMOUS FALL RECIPE OF THE DAY
A wonderful filling recipe for Fall
The red wine and white wine vinegar give this chicken-and-veggie combo a tantalizing tang. Besides great flavor, this recipe delivers a whopping 242 percent of the vitamin A you need in a day.
SERVINGS: 4 servings (2 pieces chicken with 1-2/3 cups vegetable sauce mixture each)
1/3 cup all purpose flour
2 pounds chicken thighs and/or drumsticks, skinned (8 pieces)
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt or sea salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 small carrots, peeled and cut crosswise into thirds
3 stalks celery, cut crosswise into quarters
1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
8 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
1/4 cup tomato paste
1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 cup dry red wine or cranberry juice
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
6 medium plum tomatoes, coarsely chopped
1 tablespoon snipped fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons snipped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1. Spread flour in a shallow dish. Season chicken pieces with the salt and pepper. Dip chicken in the flour, turning to coat evenly and gently shaking off excess.
2. In a 5-quart Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken pieces; cook about 6 minutes or until browned, turning occasionally.
3. Remove chicken from Dutch oven; set aside. Drain off fat, reserving 2 tablespoons in the Dutch oven. Add carrots, celery, onion, and garlic. Cook about 5 minutes or just until onion is tender, stirring occasionally.
4. Stir in tomato paste. Add broth, wine, and vinegar; bring to boiling. Add tomatoes and thyme. Return chicken to Dutch oven. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 60 to 70 minutes or until chicken and vegetables are tender.
5. To serve, place chicken, vegetables, and cooking juices on a serving platter. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and parsley.
CARB GRAMS PER SERVING: 30
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Servings: 4 servings (2 pieces chicken with 1-2/3 cups vegetable sauce mixture each)
Total Fat (g)13
Saturated Fat (g)3
Monounsaturated Fat (g)7
Polyunsaturated Fat (g)2
Total Sugar (g)11
Vitamin C (DV%)58
Other Carbohydrates (d.e.)1
Lean Meat (d.e.)4