Friday, October 28, 2011

Halloween and Pumpkin Snickerdoodles!

It's time for another yearly ritual! Halloween has always been a fun holiday for me. When I was a little girl, my Aunt Mabel always had a great family Halloween Party. I can remember those times with such fondness. My only regret is that I don't have a SINGLE picture of any of them. But, the memories are as clear as if it were yesterday.

Uncles making plaster of paris skull covers like bald men...wearing dresses! Oh My!
I learned to make my own costumes at a very young age, and that has served me well over the years. It lead to my sewing my own clothes and clothing for my children and grandchildren. It was always a time filled with laughter and joy!

The little bee above belongs to us! She is so cute, isn't she? She said she is a "nice" bee ... "I don't have a stinger!" I have made costumes for my children for so many years.

One year I made a green dragon...wow, was that a time consuming one!
We have had spiders, flowers, bats and just about any other non-gory thing you can think of. We had children's parties where we had a spooky dark room filled with bowls of "monster parts" which the kids could feel with their little hands as we led them through the darkened room...squeals of joy rang out as they touched pearl onion "eyeballs", calves liver "guts" and ketchup "blood". Oh, they all knew the parts weren't real, but that is what made it so much fun.

Bobbing for apples, fresh from the tree, and caramel apples so sticky they could pull out those loose teeth were all part of the ritual.



I remember another year when I made a costume for my youngest son to wear to Day Care. He was only three years old at the time and I made the costume of a little white angel with wings, BUT sticking out from under his golden locks were two tiny pink tipped devil's horns! The people at the day care were hysterical! It just suited him sooooooo well.

His sister found it appropriate too..wonder why?

Some people have tried to make Halloween out to be something evil, but I believe it is the one time of year when you can decide to be anyone or anything you want to be!
What fun! I have such fond memories of those Halloween's Past, and I know my children do too. We have had our own parties and now I am sharing this fun-filled holiday with my grandchildren.

So, go get your candy and get ready for all those little faces filled with joy as they hold out their treat bags and share their joy with you! HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!




PUMPKIN SNICKERDOODLES




Ingredients:

* 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
* 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
* 1 3/4 cups sugar, divided
* 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
* 1 large egg
* 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
* 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon


Directions:

1. Adjust the oven racks to the upper-and lower-middle positions and heat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, salt and pumpkin pie spice; set aside.
3. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter and 1 1/2 cups sugar at medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula as needed. Add the egg and beat at medium speed until combined, about 30 seconds. Add the pumpkin puree and beat at medium speed until combined, about 30 seconds. Add the dry ingredients and beat at low speed until just combined, about 30 seconds, scraping down the bowl as needed.


4. Place the remaining 1/4 cup sugar and cinnamon for rolling in a shallow bowl. Roll a heaping tablespoon of dough into a 1½-inch ball, roll the ball in the sugar mixture, and place it on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining dough, spacing the balls about 2 inches apart
5. Bake the cookies, one sheet at a time, until the edges are set and just beginning to brown but the centers are still soft and puffy, 10 to 12 minutes, rotating the baking sheet halfway through baking. Cool the cookies on the baking sheets about 5 minutes; using a wide metal spatula, transfer the cookies to a wire rack and cool to room temperature.

Yields: 4 dozen

No comments:

Post a Comment