Monday, February 27, 2012

Movies Now and Then

I managed to stay up and watch the entire Oscars program last evening.  I was glad they decided to bring back Billy Crystal.  I have always enjoyed his quick wit and spontaneous humor.  I even enjoyed the Circ de Soliel performance, although it did seem a little strange to be a part of the Oscars.
I wish that the Best Actress award could have been given to more than one actress as although I feel that Meryl Streep was very deserving and no one is any better, two others could have stood up there beside her...Glenn Close and Viola Davis...their performances were also extraordinary.  

I haven't had the chance to see "Hugo" yet but after seeing how many awards it got, I think I will have to make time to see it soon!

There actually are some really good movies out there these days; but there is also a lot I just can't understand or accept. Some of the language and overtly sexual content is just unnecessary.
I can go back and see some of the movies made in the 40's and 50's and find that they were just as "sexy and sensual" without being embarrassing and disgusting.  

I find it sad that so many movies today have to be rated "PG" or "PG 13" for language and sexual content.  These movies would be perfectly acceptable for kids except for the use of foul language and sexual inuendo.  Why is is that even in animated movies which are children's themes parents still have to be careful about what those little ears are going to see and hear?

I have taken my grandchildren to movies several times which had I known in advance, I would have avoided because of the language and inappropriate actions of the child actors or animated characters.  I guess there is still a part of me that would like to see more of the "Dolphin Tale" type of movie and less of the "Transformers" which didn't seem appropriate for any age child.

Didn't Transformers start out as a toy...this is misleading to both parents and children when something which was originally designed with children in mind morphs into something which is not.

It is a difficult world in which to raise children today, and it is a shame if we can't let children have the "movie experience" because of fear of what might pop up on that big screen.  One way to avoid this, are sites like  http://www.commonsensemedia.org/.

These sites provide reviews of movies for children which will allow you to make common sense decisions regarding which movies are appropriate for your child.  
Personally, I would love to see more of the type movies that were available when I was growing up!
Remember this one?  And remember when an animated flick was truly for kids?  Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, and Cinderella?  And, you didn't have to worry about blood and guts either.  How refreshing.

I think the Oscars should give an award for the best Family Appropriate Picture of the Year, don't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment