Sunday, April 22, 2012

Miles Across The Sea

I check my "stats" every day on my Okaloosa Girl site.  I like to see not only that the number of people reading my  blog has grown, but WHERE in the world my visitors are coming from.

I have noticed recently that nearly one third of all my readers are from Russia.  It is amazing to see how technology has changed and continues to change how we see others around the world.  My recent conversations with my new Chinese friend have been informing and fun.  I feel we are making the world a little better place to live when we foster relationships outside our own borders, and even on the other side of the world!

I would like to believe that people the world are very much the same.  We all are born, grow up, fall in love, marry and have children.  We all work hard to supply the daily needs of our families.  We all watch as our governments make decisions at times that do not reflect the feelings or emotions or needs of the people they represent.  By keeping open the lines of communication on a personal level, I believe we can better understand what others around the world are actually feeling. 

I used to travel twice a year to France, and people always told me how the "French" hated Americans!  I never once experienced anything like that.  The people I met in France and the people I did business with were warm, generous and friendly and willing to share their love of their country and their love of history willingly.  I found that they knew much more about America and Americans than I knew of about the French and France!  I found myself a little embarrassed at times by this fact.

As I share my thoughts, feelings and recipes on Okaloosa Girl, I hope that I am sharing more about what an average American is like with others around the world.  I hope that I do a good job of promoting community the world over.  We have, sometimes in spite of ourselves, become a "global" community, and the more we know about one another the better. 

So, as I continue to write and to share, I hope those of you out there in all those different communities will continue to comment and share with me.  Share your thoughts, your dreams and even your recipes.  I would love to hear from you!

I am feeling like seafood today, so I would like to share a recipe from Coastal Living for your enjoyment!

TUNA TARTARE WITH GINGER AND TOASTED SESAME

This version of tuna tartare steals ingredients from the sushi counter, with pickled ginger, rice vinegar--typically used in making sushi rice--and a bit of soy sauce tossed with the finely diced fish.  Spoon it onto small plates as an appetizer, or into a bowl alongside taro or other crisp chips for a cocktail party snack.  It is best served RIGHT AWAY; as it sits, the tuna begins to lose color, though the flavor remains quite good.  Looked for pickled ginger near the prepared sushi at your local grocery or in the Asian foods section.

Prep 10 minutes

2 Tablespoons finely chopped pickled ginger
2 Tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1/3 teaspoon sesame oil
3 Tablespoons thinly sliced green onion
12 ounces FRESH tuna, finely diced
1 Tablespoon toasted sesame seeds

Combine first 5 ingredients in a medium bowl.  Fold in tuna.  Spoon onto serving plates, and sprinkle with sesame seeds.  Makes 6-8 appetizer servings.



God Bless...Peace, Love and Joy!


No comments:

Post a Comment