Saturday, June 2, 2012

It's Real in Okaloosa! Billy Bowlegs Pirate Festival

This is the 2012 Billy Bowlegs Captain.  Last evening Melanie and the kids and I went to the Fort Walton Beach Billy Bowlegs Festival!  Man, this is a big thing around here!  There were thousands and thousands of people parking as much as a half mile away to attend.

The festival takes place at the Landing, a lovely park just off Brooks Street right on the banks of the Choctawatchee Bay.  The site in itself is really lovely, with large oaks draped with Spanish Moss and benches, grass, docks and walkways.  Last night it was a huge festival however, with live music, bands of all types and vendors selling all kinds of wares.

There were rides for the children including the rock wall (which even the youngest who is only five, absolute loved and climbed again and again) and a bungee jump and more.  There were games for the kids as well as the adults.  You could buy Pirate Booty (every time we say booty Livie laughs!) and every type of food you can imagine from shrimp on a stick and oysters, to pulled pork and tacos, and gyros.  Unbelieveable.  Everyone was having an absolutely terrific time.  Lots and lots and lots of families and every age group,  many of whom were dressed like Pirates.  There was a staged fight at sea with ships, canons and guns firing many, many rounds. 

The weather was absolutely perfect last night..just cool enough with a light summer breeze and a nearly full moon.  Couldn't have been better.

Then at 9:30 Fort Walton Beach put on the most spectacular fireworks show I have been privileged to see!  It was unbelievable.  It lasted more than half an hour and had the most beautiful displays directly over the bay.  WOW! is all I can say.

Tonight we will watch the fireworks at 8:30 from our balcony facing the bay side.  Boy, Gulf on one side and Bay on the other...I am in heaven!  The kids had a wonderful time and one that they will never forget.  All of them loved the Pirates, and the rides and the overall atmosphere.  But they, like myself, were in awe over the fireworks.  What a spectacular evening we had.  I love the Emerald Coast for so many reasons, and every time I come back I find yet another reason to love it!

I am thrilled to be the proud owner of a condo at Island Echos now, and even though I can't live here full time yet, I am really looking forward to the day when I can with great anticipation.  This is truly my home now.

I will post some great pics later when I have downloaded them from last night and from the beach today.  Boy, these kids are never going to want to go home!

Me either!!!

God Bless....Love, Peace and Joy to all

No comments:

Post a Comment