Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Dieting - One Size Doesn't Fit All!

If you have ever had to fight the "battle of the buldge" you know it can be either very rewarding if you succeed or very frustrating if you don't.

I have been on both sides of the battle off and on for most of my adult life.  As a teen I was an athlete and never had to worry about my weight.  As a child I had actually been quite skinny.  But, once I had children, all that changed.

Over the years I have done everything from Weight Watchers to HCG!  Sometimes I had reasonable success, but the problem is I never managed to lose the weight and keep it off until now.  I think I know the reason why.

For example, with WW you are given a certain amount of "points" you can use throughout the day to lose weight.  It does work and many people lose weight doing it.  However, there are some fatal flaws which set the losers up for future failure.  One of those is that while you are counting points it isn't emphasized that there is a difference between eating a cheeseburger for 15 points and eating 15 points worth of lean protein or vegetables.  Also, the weekly meeting provides accountability, and while that is a valuable tool, unless you intend to go to meetings the rest of your life you need to learn to be accountable to YOURSELF!  Consequently, most of the people (including me) who lose weight on WW gain it back.  Siggggghhhh...

HCG has been around for over 30+ years.  It involves taking Human Chorionic Gonatrophin in either drop (not as effective) or injection.  This diet also involves and extremely restrictive change not only in your eating habits (500-700 calories a day) but you can't even use any type of oil or lotion on your skin or it will not work!  You can not exercise on this regime.  It does work.  But, once again, when people lose weight this way they haven't changed their eating habits and as soon as they go back to eating the way they were, the weight returns and usually even more.

I could go through each and every diet plan presented and give you the pluses and minuses, but here is the plain truth.  Unless you are willing to change your eating HABITS you will never get the weight off and keep it off.  Oh, I'm not saying you can NEVER have a piece of chocolate cake again, but just that you have to learn how your body works and exactly what you have to change or modify to obtain an ideal weight.

For me, a trip to Metabolic Research Center was the beginning of my journey.  The diet plan I chose to follow involved reducing caloric intake, increasing protein and decreasing carbohydrates.  I also decided that adding walking/jogging to my life would help with my efforts.  Now I know that some of you HATE exercise, and others of you have gotten so obese that exercise is not an option until you get some of the weight off.  So, lets start with MOTIVATION.

What is your motivation for losing weight?  Have you tried before and failed? Why?  Do you have any "support" in this effort, or are you going to have to overcome a spouse or friends who will attempt to sabotage you at every turn?  No matter how you look at it, this is going to require WILLPOWER.  If you can't summon up a considerable amount of that, then you are doomed to fail.  After all, you didn't put on those extra 50 plus pounds overnight and you can't expect them to fall off overnight either!

I can say all this because over the last couple of years I have managed to lose 100+ pounds!  I have also managed to keep it off for six months so far.  I am not going to tell you that it is ALWAYS easy, or that I don't have moments of weakness and temptation...I DO!!  But, if I fall off the wagon one day, I hop back on with both feet the next!

There is NO magic pill or injection that will make the weight disappear overnight, but if you are willing to work at it, you CAN get your life back.  You CAN wear that sexy dress or those size 6 slacks again.  I am willing to help anyone interested in learning healthy ways to take it off!  If you are interested in joining me on this journey to wellness, let me know! 

PEACE - LOVE & JOY!!!

Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment