Saturday, August 15, 2015

Back In The Saddle Again!

No, I'm not riding a horse or a bull or any other critter! However, I am back on my diet program with Metabolic Direct.

I have always been different! Most people gain weight in the winter when they are shut indoors and indulging in comfort foods.  Me, well, I gain in the Summer.  It probably has more to do with the fact that I seem to travel a lot and eat out a lot in the Summer, than it does with the season itself.

Every Summer about this time, I get on the scales one morning and go - YIKES! How did that happen? Where did it come from?  Well, probably from the delicious Zeppe's Italian Ice and Vanilla Custard...oh yum.  Then there are the Smore's cooked over the open fire, and the hot dogs, and the travel to Paris where ALL the food is irresistible and delicious!  Oh my.  Back to my normal routine or I will have a whole closet full of clothes I can not wear anymore! Nope, can't afford that for sure! And, to add to the drive, I'm going on a Cruise in December! You can't hide fat in cruise clothes!  Aaaauuuggh...

I wish it were as easy to be thin now as it was when I was 17!  Of course, back then I walked everywhere, played basketball and softball and probably didn't have access to junk food.  I was too busy to eat!  The first time I really gained weight was when I was in Nursing School.  There was never time to eat properly and so McDonalds Quarter Pounder with cheese and fries became a staple in my world..to the tune of probably 40 pounds or more...I really didn't take a lot of notice about it until the graduation pictures! Oh my, is that me?  A size 20?  How on Earth???

I have dieted and changed the way I eat several times and lost weight, but it was about three years ago when I looked at a picture of myself with my husband at Universal Studios. Who are those people?  That did it.  I got busy and took off 50 pounds on my own, but then I was STUCK!

So I began to hunt for some program or method that would work for me.  I had been to WW in the past and wasn't really impressed...oh I lost some weight, but it came right back...counting points and still eating hamburgers isn't the way to go for me.  I had tried Fit For Life, geesh that is a lot of fruit!

Anyway after having tried so many programs and still being overweight, I came across the Metabolic Research people in Macon, Georgia.  I reviewed the program and it seemed like a sensible way to lose weight.  Between October 3rd and December 20 I lost 50 pounds! Success.  They hired me to work for them!  My clients would walk in and not believe my "before" picture.  I actually had one man say "I want to talk to that tall skinny blond."  I hadn't been a tall skinny blond since High School.
Losing weight is not just about vanity.  It is more about "health."  I don't want to be one of those who has to have knee replacements and can't do all the things I did 30 years ago.  I want to keep healthy and keep moving.  I want to motivate others to do the same.  Life is short...let's live it!

I ran my first 5K 100 pounds lighter than I was the year before on February 23, 2012 (my 66th birthday).  I actually came in third in my age group..(I was just happy I didn't DIE trying).  I have managed to do pretty well until this Summer.  A trip to London and Paris in May, Maryland in June and then to Georgia and finally two weeks in Norway (where my host was a Chef!), and a one week visit from my College age grandson (and I ate hot dogs and fun stuff like that) and I have found myself 25 pounds up!  Oh my gosh!

So this week beginning on Sunday I got back to the program that has been so good to me. It really isn't hard to follow and it works great.  I have already lost 8, yes EIGHT pounds! While I know that rate of loss will not continue, I intend to have lost 20 more pounds by October 15th! I don't do any ridiculous amount of exercise.  I do like to walk about 4 miles at least 3 times a week while the weather is good and I snowshoe in the Winter.  If you have a dog, taking him or her for a nice brisk walk will be good for both of you; and despite previous evidence to the contrary, you need to get at least 15 minutes of sunshine on your body a day to make adequate Vitamin D...so many are deficient in Vitamin D now because of Sunscreen...leave the sunscreen at home and get your 15 minutes.  Recent research is saying exactly that! No, don't get burned...get 15 minutes!

I have fought the "weight loss" battle many times, but I never intend to get back to the weight that I was before Metabolic Research.  I am actually an independent Weight Loss Consultant for them now out here in Utah.  That is good for me and good for my clients.  So, my blogging friends, I will let you know how I progress, and if you want to join me give me a message.

PEACE, LOVE and JOY

No comments:

Post a Comment