Tuesday, October 4, 2011
Grocery Day and Dollar Cauliflower!
And I found a couple of real deals! Beautiful, fresh heads of cauliflower which usually sell for about $4.00, were $1.00 each today!!! Wow! I love cauliflower, but usually pass it by because of the high price, and frozen cauliflower just doesn't cut it. So, I bought two heads of the glorious cruciferous vegetable and I will share a couple of great recipes with you today. This is one of those veggies which helps to ward off cancer. More is better! I also got a great buy on fresh Kale, another great healthy food. Then my favorite Greek Yogurt, FAGE was on sale for $1.00 each instead of $1.69, and it was the kind with the fruit flavoring on the side..yummo and oh so healthy. So all in all it was a great shopping trip!
And I also scored on some Pumpkin Spice tea which usually sells for $3.49 a box, and paid only 25 Cents! YAY! Great Stuff.
RECIPES OF THE DAY
This recipe is an incredible alternative to mashed potatoes.
1 large head of cauliflower
4 tbs sour cream
4 wedges Laughing Cow Light Swiss Original cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
Cook cauliflower until done by steaming, boiling or microwaving.
Combine cooked cauliflower, sour cream and cheese wedges in food processor. Blend until smooth. Salt and pepper to taste.
Roasted Garlic Cauliflower
This is one your kids will love! Kind of a great "finger food" treat.
* 2 tablespoons minced garlic
* 3 tablespoons olive oil
* 1 large head cauliflower, separated into florets
* 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
* salt and black pepper to taste
* 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F (220 degrees C). Grease a large casserole dish.
2. Place the olive oil and garlic in a large resealable bag. Add cauliflower, and shake to mix. Pour into the prepared casserole dish, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
3. Bake for 25 minutes, stirring halfway through. Top with Parmesan cheese and parsley, and broil for 3 to 5 minutes, until golden brown.
Nutritional Information open nutritional information
Amount Per Serving Calories: 118 | Total Fat: 8.2g | Cholesterol: 4mg