Saturday, October 22, 2011

Think Thin!

It's a beautiful Autumn Day here in Middle Georgia! I am still working on the 17 Day Diet...to the tune of a 49 pound weight loss. I have slowed down a bit, but stressful circumstances have played a role in that.

This week, after a trip to the scales, my hubby decided to join me in the weight loss quest. Yay! He is, of course, allowed quite a few more calories than I am, but his biggest problem in the past has been portion control. This week he made me his Portion Control Master! In addition to portion control, I am showing him how to make a few small changes that can make a huge difference in the total caloric intake for a day.

Fortunately, Kevin loves vegetables and salad. Unfortunately, he also loves to glop on a ton of Ceasar Dressing - 160 Calories in 2 TBSP - he probably uses six! So, in an effort to change the 480 calorie addition to a very low calorie vegetable salad, I made the following recipe to top his salad...he loved it! An exchange of only 150 calories total....served over finely chopped romaine lettuce it is a healthful and delicious alternative.

Try this today ... if you like you can spice it up with a bit of spicy creole seasoning...

Here is the recipe which serves TWO

1 small Haas Avocado (make sure it is soft and ripe, it makes the dressing creamy)
finely chopped
1 medium tomato, finely chopped
6 Tablespoons finely chopped sweet onion
6 Tablespoons Fresh Lime Juice or you may use Bottled Key Lime Juice
1/4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 Medium head romaine lettuce, finely sliced

Chop all ingredients and mix thoroughly..allow to sit for at least 10 minutes before placing it atop the lettuce...serve immediately.

I will let you know how my sweetie is progressing on his diet as we continue down the healthy trail!

No comments:

Post a Comment