Tuesday, November 15, 2011

It's Like Pulling Teeth! And Old Fashioned Peanut Butter Cookies

Good Tuesday Morning friends...it is sunny and warm today here in Georgia.  It sure doesn't feel like November today, but I do need to get busy on the Christmas Cooking baking.

My morning started a bit rough...had to make an emergency trip to the dentist who discovered I had a tooth which needed to be pulled!  Yow!  Not something anyone looks forward to.  I must say he did a nice job though, and although I have a little discomfort overall it wasn't too bad.  I never even knew I had a cavity in this particular tooth until I went to have my teeth cleaned last week and they found it on x-ray.  The cavity was actually quite a ways below the gum line and I hadn't had any pain from it.  Not until this morning that is!  Suddenly I was getting shooting pains in my jaw.  I was scheduled to have the cavity taken care of the first week in December, but the tooth had other plans.

I called and scheduled an appointment for 9:30 this morning, and by 11:00 I was home.  It's soup for the rest of today, and salt water rinses.  But I am so glad it acted up when it did as next week I plan to be in Florida, and I certainly wouldn't have wanted it to cause me problems there.

So, this afternoon I am looking through my recipes for Christmas cookies.  I like to bake ahead of time and have them frozen so that I can take them out as needed.  I am also making my grocery list for the cookies and for a trifle which a friend of my husband's likes me to make for every holiday! 

Thought I might share this recipe for Old Fashioned Peanut Butter Cookies with you today.  I have previously shared the Cherry Trifle Recipe, but if you need it and can't locate it just let me know and I will be happy to share it again.  It is very festive and so easy to make and such an impressive dessert!

OLD FASHIONED PEANUT BUTTER COOKIES

These are great, and only 83 calories per cookie, which won't blow your diet out of the water.

1 cup butter, softened
1 cup creamy peanut butter (yep, buy the good stuff)
1 cup sugar
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Additional sugar for shaping/sugaring the cookies

1.  Beat butter and peanut butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy; gradually add sugars, beating well.  Add eggs, beating well.

2.  Combine flour, soda and salt in a medium bowl; add to butter mixture, beating well.  Stir in vanilla.  Cover and chill 3 hours.

3.  Shape into 1 1/4 inch balls, place 3 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets.  Dip a fork in additional sugar; flatten cookies in a criss-cross design. 

4.  Bake at 375 fr 7 to 8 minutes.  Remove to wire racks to cool. 

Yield:  6 Dozen


These freeze really well.




No comments:

Post a Comment