Sunday, November 6, 2011

Roasting Chicken and Being Thankful

It's Sunday afternoon, and what is a more appropriate meal than a beautifully roasted chicken for Sunday Dinner? This lovely bird just exited my oven, and is cooling on top the stove. Here are some quick tips for making your own Roasted Chicken really special:

1. Choose a really GOOD QUALITY chicken. Yep, it might be a little more expensive, but it is definitely worth it. I love Perdue's Oven Stuffer Roaster...meaty and tender every time. Also, rinse and dry your bird before proceeding.

2. Preheat your oven to 500 degrees...Yep I said 500 degrees....and

3. Place some fresh herbs such as basil, thyme and rosemary in the cavity of the chicken before placing in the oven...you may also add an onion or apple..which will add moisture and flavor to the bird as well as the juices...which by the way make great Gravy! Salt and Pepper the interior and exterior of your hen.

4. Place the bird in the oven at 500 degrees for 15 minutes only, then reduce the temperature to 350 for the balance of the cooking time...this will vary according to the weight of your bird....but the outside should look nicely brown, and the juices should run CLEAR (this happens at about 165 degrees internal temperature).

Let the bird cool before slicing for easier slicing...

Served up with some delicious mashed potatoes or rice and gravy and some biscuits, and green beans and you have a fabulous Sunday Dinner!

With Thanksgiving approaching I am thankful for so many things, not the least of which is my health. We so take for granted being able to get up and go every day. The human body is a complicated piece of machinery, and the fact that most of the time it runs smoothly is absolutely amazing.

I am thankful for Four healthy children and 8 healthy grandchildren, and 2 healthy great grandchildren. My family has been truly blessed to have so many babies who have never been seriously ill. I praise God for that!

I am thankful for my mental status as well. Taking care of my 95-year-old friend who is rapidly slipping deeper and deeper into dementia, makes me want to do everything possible to keep my mental health at peak also. Oh, we all lose some of our mental agility as we age, but it is important to maintain proper diet, exercise and "brain stimulating" activities going every day so that you hang on to as many of those good brain cells as possible. No one really knows what "causes" dementia, but there are activities that we can do to help stave it off.

I am thankful that my family has not been hit by layoff and job loss like so many others in this Country. I pray that things may turn around soon for those who have been so affected.

I am thankful that I can pray and worship in the way and time that I want any where that I want.

What are you thankful for today? Don't wait for one day of the year to be Thankful...be Thankful for your blessings every day!

No comments:

Post a Comment