Thursday, November 3, 2011
Keep Smiling and Keep Those Choppers Healthy! Toasted Almond Chicken Salad Recipe
Why you may ask is it so important to get your teeth cleaned on a regular basis and going through an experience I really do not enjoy, other than my teeth look and actually feel a lot better!?
1. Tooth cleaning can help prevent oral cancer. According to The Oral Cancer Foundation, someone dies from oral cancer, every hour of every day in the United States alone. When you have your dental cleaning, your dentist is also screening you for oral cancer, which is highly curable if diagnosed early.
2. If diagnosed early, gum disease can be treated and reversed. Gum disease is an infection in the gum tissues and bone that keep your teeth in place and is one of the leading causes of adult tooth loss. If treatment is not received, a more serious and advanced stage of gum disease may follow. Regular dental cleanings and check ups, flossing daily and brushing twice a day are key factors in preventing gum disease.
3. During tooth cleaning your dental hygienist can remove most tobacco, coffee and tea stains. Your hygienist will also polish your teeth to a beautiful shine. The result is a whiter and brighter smile!
4. When there are deep pockets along the tooth roots due to bone recession it is impossible for the patient to properly clean and keep the gum tissue free of inflammation. A deep cleaning is necessary to remove the inflammation and debris and sometimes this would be done prior to gum surgery.
The sad truth is that infections, and cavities in your mouth can lead to problems with your immune system and even cardiac infections!
So, to stay healthy you don't just need to eat healthy but you need to take care of those pearly whites beginning when they first erupt as a small child. Dental hygiene is imperative to good health.
LIST OF TOP TEN FOODS GOOD FOR YOUR TEETH!
op 10 Foods for Your Teeth:
1. Green Tea has a well-deserved reputation for providing many benefits. With teeth, green tea offers up natural antioxidant compounds prevent plaque from accumulating, therefore reducing the risk of cavities and bad breath. Some green teas also contain fluoride that can further prevent tooth decay – check the label before you buy.
2. Dairy products such as milk and yogurt are low in acidity and sugar making them great choices to quench your thirst or have as a healthy snack. This is good news for both tooth erosion and tooth decay. Milk is rich in calcium, which means you are fortifying teeth and bones while refueling during the day.
3. Cheese is another dairy product with significant dental benefits. Being high in phosphate and calcium, cheese promotes healthy teeth. It also balances the pH in your mouth, produces more saliva, rebuilds tooth enamel and kills the bacteria that cause tooth cavities and gum disease.
4. Fruit is great for your teeth especially when eaten in whole, raw form. It keeps down plaque and massages your gums. Choose the fruits rich in Vitamin C, which holds our body cells together. If you are short of Vitamin C, your gums may become tender and more susceptible to gum disease.
5. Vegetables are another good idea if you are trying to build a good foundation for your teeth. Broccoli, carrots, sweet potato and pumpkin are rich in Vitamin A from which tooth enamel forms. If you eat them raw you will get more Vitamin A, as well as clean your teeth and massage your gums.
6. Onions are rich in powerful anti-bacterial sulphur compounds, which kill the bacteria that harm your teeth and gums. If you can stand the stinky side effects, eat onions raw for best results.
7. Celery is another great friend of the dentist. Eat it raw and it will not only massage your gums, but clean your teeth. It will also induce the production of more saliva that will neutralize the bacteria that cause cavities.
8. Sesame Seeds, which are best combined with bread and rolls, dissolve plaque and help build tooth enamel. The tasty seeds are also rich in calcium, which will keep your teeth and jawbone healthy.
9. Proteins like beef, chicken, eggs and turkey are rich in phosphorus. Calcium combines with phosphorus and Vitamin D to produce our teeth and bones. Make sure you get enough protein to keep your teeth healthy, and reduce decay.
10. Water is not only the gift of life. When you rinse with water, it cleans your mouth so that your saliva can nourish your teeth, hydrate your gums, and help wash away trapped food particles that can create plague.
So, once again as you can see, you are what you eat. A healthy diet is good for your WHOLE body.
HEALTHY RECIPE OF THE DAY
Toasted Almond Chicken Salad
3 small chicken breast halves
3 ribs celery, sliced
1 bunch chives, finely chopped
1/2 cup low-fat plain yogurt
1/4 cup light sour cream
1 1/2 teaspoons dried tarragon
2 tablespoons slivered almonds, toasted
Ground black pepper
1 bag (10 ounces) mixed greens
Coat a nonstick skilled with cooking spray and place over medium-high heat. When it's hot, add the chicken and cook for 4 minutes per side, or until the juices run clear. Remove the chicken from the heat and let it rest for at least 10 minutes. When they are cool enough to handle, chop the chicken breasts into small pieces.
In a large bowl, combine the chicken, celery, chives, yogurt, sour cream and tarragon and mix lightly.
Cove and refrigerat for at least 1 hour, or up to 24 hours. Add the almonds, and salt and pepper to taste,..serve on a bed of greens.
Makes 4 servings
Calories: 177, protein 25 g, carbohydrate 8 g, fat 5 g, cholesterol 58 mg,
sodium 144 mg, fiber 3 gm.
NOTE TO TOAST ALMONDS, PLACE THEM IN A DRY SKILLET OVER MEDIUM-LOW HEAT, SHAKING THE PAN OFTEN, UNTIL THE ALMONDS ARE FRAGRANT AND SLIGHTLY BROWNED (2-3 MUNUTES). REMOVE FROM HEAT AND STIR UNTIL THE ALMONDS COOL SLIGHTLY.