Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Sewing It Up!


If you haven't done anything crafty or creative lately, why not?  It is so good for your mental and physical health.  The more you exercise your creative side, the healthier you will be.  One of the big problems I have seen in many elderly is that they never took the time to develop any hobbies or crafts that would carry them through their old age.

You don't have to be an "artist" to enjoy creating things.  There are courses out there for those of you who have never tried anything.  It can be flower arranging, gardening, bonsai, painting, sewing, knitting or whatever, but try SOMETHING!

You would be amazed at how pleased people are to receive a "personal" gift from you which you have created with your own hands.  Today I finished a costume for my ten-year-old granddaughter to wear while she gives a report on Abigail Adams.  It really wasn't all that difficult, she will love it and it will give her extra credit on her report.  In addition, it made her work harder to study everything about Abigail Adams, thereby furthering her educational development.  Have you helped a grandchild with a "project" lately?  It is such a rewarding way to spend time with them.


I took the granddaughters to a place called "Art By You" this past Saturday where they painted a couple of mugs and little ceramic animals which will be fired and I will pick them up this coming Saturday. They had great fun, I loved watching them exercise their creative talents and I love to encourage them to do so.  They were so excited to be making something tht we can keep to remember what a fun day we had.  They painted Valentine mugs which I will love using.  

I have been sewing since I was just a little child.  I actually made tons and tons of Barbie clothes for my sister who was ten years younger than me.  I made everything from sandals to wool and fur skating outfits.  She had the best dressed Barbie in town, and I honed my sewing skills at a very young age.  I also used to make my own Halloween costumes.  All this led to my making my own clothing after I was married.  I don't sew nearly as much as I used to, but every now and then I pull out the machine and go at it!  Sometimes I just make American Girl Doll clothes for the girls.  I have made Halloween costumes for the four of my grandchildren who live here in Georgia.  It encourages them to be creative also.


I encourage you right now to find some hobby or craft you can get into.  My sweet hubby has been chip carving and power carving for the past few years.  He has gotten really good at it, and loves it too.  We hope that some of our hobbies can supplement our income after we retire.  Plus, believe me people when I tell you that using your hands, eyes and talents is what helps to keep you YOUNG! Use your mind and expand your world.  You won't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment