Thursday, February 23, 2012

Birthdays and Bellyaches

Today is my Birthday...one of many, many of those!  I have been blessed in so many ways.  I have four healthy grown children, and seven healthy grandchildren.  My life has not been without adversity, but through Faith and fortitude I have grown and am still continuing to grow and thrive.

I firmly believe you are NEVER to old to learn new things, and to try new things.  Today, a sweet neighbor and friend is going to introduce me to the game of Bridge.  I have been reading for two days how to play.  It seems it is quite complicated, but I WILL learn how to do it.  And you know what?  I am going to ENJOY learning this difficult game and exercising my brain.

I believe that learning and doing are important in keeping you young at heart.  You can't stop the body from aging, but you can slow it down with exercise and diet, but that good old brain needs stimulation to keep it operating smoothly. 

Resources for Sciences Learning, by the Franklin Institute states:

"Your brain is a thinking organ that learns and grows by interacting with the world through perception and action. Mental stimulation improves brain function and actually protects against cognitive decline, as does physical exercise.
The human brain is able to continually adapt and rewire itself. Even in old age, it can grow new neurons. Severe mental decline is usually caused by disease, whereas most age-related losses in memory or motor skills simply result from inactivity and a lack of mental exercise and stimulation. In other words, use it or lose it."

Yep, that's right USE IT OR LOSE IT.  Now, I don't know about you, but I want to exercise those old neurons, and grow new ones.  

Here is a link which can help you understand why this is important:  http://www.fi.edu/learn/brain/exercise.html

So, today on my Birthday, I am going to learn something new.  I am going to stimulate those neurons, and try to create a few new ones.  I plan to keep learning as long as I live.  I would like to encourage EVERYONE to do the same.  

You can teach an Old Dog New Tricks!

Have a blessed day filled with Peace, Love and Joy!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment