Friday, March 9, 2012

Rainy Days are No Excuse to Cheat!

I am one of those people who just does not like rainy days.  I know we need rain, but I just wish it would rain from midnight until six am and then the sun would coming bursting forth and the birds would sing.  Oh well, it's a rainy day in Georgia today and looks like we may have quite a few of those in the upcoming week.

When I am feeling a little low, I want to find comfort food.  But, I have learned to be very careful in what I cook so that I am not tempted to lose ground in my weight loss success.

Today's lunch will include grilled chicken breasts, roasted cauliflower and this lovely and delicious salad in the picture.  When you want to change things up and have something healthy, low calorie and delicious reach for the fresh veggies!

Here is the recipe for a really feel good salad/side.

Beans, Beans and More Beans!

1 can chickpeas, rinsed
1 can red kidney beans, rinsed
1/2 pound fresh, steamed haricot vert - very skinny green beans ! LOL (I steam mine in the pressure   cooker - takes 3 minutes!)
     NOTE:  If you think you don't like pressure cookers, let me tell you that the new electric ones
                  are fabulous and easy to use!
1 medium sweet onion, sliced very thinly
12 marinated mushrooms, diced  ( actually buy mine at SAM's but you can find them in the
     pickled vegetable aisle)
2 Tablespoons of cider vinegar
1/4 cup of the marinade from the mushrooms (could use any marinated veggie if you don't like
      mushrooms.
2 cups yellow or red grape tomatoes, sliced in half
1 teaspoon Salt (or to taste depending on how salty your marinated veggie juice is)
1 TBSP Creole seasoning

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix thoroughly.  Put in refrigerator and stir several times before serving.  Yummy!  Keeps well in the fridge and is great either alone or as a delicious side dish.


GOD BLESS  and Healthy Eating,  Peace, Love and Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment