Saturday, November 30, 2013

Pumpkin Casserole, Catching Fire or Frozen, and Black Friday!

 These whopping big yams were in my Bountiful Baskets basket last week! Positively huge, and the sweetest yams I have ever tasted.mmmmmm.

So I put em on a cookie sheet lined with foil and baked them for about an hour and a half. That turned them into the soft delectable treats we all love.  I took one of them and sliced it and put butter, salt and a bit of cinnamon and cajun seasoning on them for lunch. YUM.

But, the rest went into the Ninja to be pureed.  They made about six, yep I said six, cups of beautiful puree.

It takes two cups to make the lovely souffle you see below, so the rest was frozen in 2 cup portions for a later date.
This recipe can be made with either pumpkin or sweet potato puree with equally delicious results.  I just couldn't resist sharing it with you even though Thanksgiving has already passed, it is equally delicious for any time of the year. It is much lighter than the usual sweet potato pudding served at Thanksgiving and has a smooth almost pudding-like texture to please even the most picky palate!

Here is the rather simple, one bowl recipe:

Oh, and by the way - It is equally delicious WARM or COLD!

2 cups pumpkin or sweet potato puree
1 cup evaporated milk
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup self-rising flour
                                                         2 eggs
                                                         1 teaspoon vanilla extract
                                                         1/2 cup Melted Butter
                                                         2 pinches (or to taste) cinnamon
1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2.  Combine pumpkin, evaporated milk, sugar, flour, eggs, vanilla, melted butter and ground cinnamon to taste! (see - told ya it was easy)
3.  Spoon into casserole dish
4.  Bake at 305 degrees F for 1 hour!

188 Calories per serving (ten servings)!  So it is healthy, and low calorie! Amazing!

We went out to see "Catching Fire" yesterday on Black Friday.  It was actually an excellent movie (though I do confess if you don't like sitting on the EDGE of your seat for the entire movie, you won't like it!).  It wasn't the kind of movie I would usually watch for a Holiday thing, but boy was there a crowd there to see it!  It keeps selling out all over the place.  I actually want to see FROZEN, which is a sweet, funny movie which I am sure would be much more to my childlike tastes! My daughter and grandchildren have already seen it and given in RAVE reviews!

It might have been a mistake to try to get out of the house at all on BLACK FRIDAY!  The crowds everywhere were oppressive and the traffic horrible!  Even the movie theaters if not completely sold out, were so crowded that popcorn addict me refused to stand in a mile long line to get my favorite treat!  We managed to get out and back (only a mile away) without incident, but I decided right then and there that venturing out on Black Friday is just not my thing!  I can't believe any sane person goes out into that madness which causes people to act like animals fighting over the last piece of meat!  Aaaauuugggh!

The really strange part to me is that most of the items the people in the stores were fighting over were available on line, shipped free, for the same price!  So, what kind of sick mentality loves being pushed and shoved about as people shout obscenities and fight over parking places?  Believe me, I don't know!

Well, enough ranting.  If you like exciting adventurous movies, I recommend "Catching Fire,"  if however you enjoy more light-hearted sentimental fare, see "Frozen!"

Happy Holidays!

PEACE - LOVE & JOY!!!

Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment