Monday, February 10, 2014

2014 Olympics - Good, Bad and Great!

I just spent about 30 minutes reviewing my FB page.  I must say, that some of the horribly negative comments about the 2014 Olympics really broke my heart.

The Olympics are NOT about politics or politicians.  What has happened to pride in your own Country and supporting YOUR athletes who are incredibly talented, hard working and dedicated individuals.

The Olympics are about BUILDING relationships between athletes from countries all over the world. I am impressed with athletes from competing countries congratulating each other, or showing concern if someone from another country is injured.

I had been thinking that the divisions in our country were strictly political - right versus left - Repub vs Dem…Tea Party, etc.  Unfortunately, I am beginning to realize that what is happening is more serious than political differences.

I am seeing a kind of cruel, insensitive attitude in this Country that has never been a part of life in the USA in my lifetime.  What has happened to  

 "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"


Once upon a time the people who founded this Country were running from those who wanted to force them into practicing/believing what they believed, with no allowance for diversity.  That is really what this Country was founded on…FREEDOM…freedom to believe whatever you wanted … not to be told what is the RIGHT thing to believe.

Racism, hate crimes and escalating violence are still present each and every day in this country, and yet we dare to point fingers at other countries.

I have seen hundreds of posts about the poor dogs being killed in Russia/Sochi because of the Olympics.  BUT, each and EVERY YEAR in the USA 3,000,000 to 4,000,000 animals are euthanized here in this very country which is pointing fingers at Russia.

We must stop judging others…stop pointing fingers at other people, other countries, and examine OURSELVES.  We must examine our own motives.

There was a time when America was held up as the "perfect" example of the kind of country everyone wanted to be.  This isn't true anymore.  We have become negative, judgmental and insensitive.  We are falling into the trap which has destroyed so many civilizations before us.

I long for the kinder, gentler America I knew as a child.  I long for the time when shootings in Malls and Movie Theaters was unheard of.  I long for the time when children could play in the woods without fear.  It is time to re-examine our motives.  It is time to become less selfish.  It is time to remember that giving is better than receiving.

As some in this country spend millions on extravagant weddings, and homes worth multi-millions of dollars while millions of children go homeless and without healthcare, it is time to remember. It is time to remember all the soldiers who have been sacrificed in numerous wars to further our cause or protect our Country.  It is time to remember the true heroes who work every day attempting to IMPROVE the conditions for ALL Americans.  It is time to remember that the only REAL Americans were the Native American Indians and that we are hypocrites treating those who want to immigrate here as unwelcome guests.

I pray that somehow, and soon, we will STOP FOCUSING ON THE NEGATIVES and begin LOOKING FOR THE POSITIVES.  Take time to introduce yourself to someone from another country and share information…not politics.

I wish you…

PEACE, LOVE & JOY

No comments:

Post a Comment