Friday, August 19, 2011
The Help...Part Two & Appetizer Recipe of the Day!
It is frightening to know that the things the maids described in the book actually took place in a lot of Southern homes. Prejudice still occurs all over the world, and is the cause of so many wars and conflicts.
I pray that someday people will see beyond their differences to the "likeness" in all of us.
The book is tender, painful, poignant and funny. I am anxious to complete it.
I won't tell you the ending, don't want to ruin it for you! I downloaded it on my iPhone Kindle application, and am carrying it around and reading it when I have a spare moment, otherwise I would have already finished it.
Pick up a book you have been thinking about today. Reading keeps your mind young.
Encourage your children to read. If they see you reading, they are much more likely to read also.
E reading has made it easier for us to carry a book with us wherever we go. Try it, you won't be sorry.
Simple Recipe of the Day
Want a SIMPLE but impressive appetizer or side alongside your favorite salad?
Try This...it takes less than 45 minutes
HERBED DEVILED EGG BRUSCHETTA
2 TBSP snipped fresh chives
2 TBSP snipped fresh dill
1/4 Cup Mayonnaise
1 TBSP Dijon style mustard
4 Slices sandwich bread, toasted
Salt and Black Pepper
2 TBSP Chopped Baby Dill Pickles
2 TBSP Capers
1. Place eggs in a single layer in a medium saucepan; add water to cover by 1 inch. Bring to rapid boil over high heat. Cover, remove from heat and let stand 15 minutes. Drain; place in bowl of ice water until cool enough to handle. Peel immediately under cool running water.
2. In a shallow dish combine chives and dill..Roll peeled eggs in herbs to coat. Remove eggs to cutting board; slice (I actually used an "egg slicer" which I have had for many years. This little gem gives you perfectly sliced eggs every time)
3. Cut toast diagonally in half; remove crust.
4. To serve, spread each toast triangle with some of the Dijon spread and egg slices. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and paprika. Serve with chopped baby dill pickles and capers.
5. I have at times added finely chopped cooked bacon sprinkled atop the eggs with a tiny dollop of the mayo mixture...and a pretty sprig of dill or sliver of pimento for "dress-up".. don't be afraid to experiment a little.
MAKES 8 Appetizer Servings.
Each serving has 123 cal, 8 g fat, 108 mg. chol., 412 mg. sodium, 7 g carbo, 0 g fiber and 4 g protein.
I SERVED THESE AT A BABY SHOWER AND THEY WERE SUCH A HIT...EVERYONE WANTED THE RECIPE!