Thursday, October 6, 2011

Up All Night AND Potato Soup

It is going to be a long day. There is a new television show with the title "UP ALL NIGHT". I will probably never watch it as I haven't been impressed with the trailers. It is about a couple with a baby who aren't getting sleep because of the baby being up.

I have a whole different problem. My little charge who broke her hip, came home yesterday from Rehab. So my workload around here has increased considerably. I am virtually a round the clock nurse. That would be fine if I could get some sleep somewhere in there.

Last evening I got Lucy ready for bed at 9 PM. I have a talking clock next to her bed which I can hear if she presses the button. I have frequently regretted buying this thing in the past, because if she wakes up during the night she hits and button and wakes me....aaaauuugghh. But, now we are using it like a "call button" which she can push to get me to her room.

As I said, I put her to bed at 9; and at 1 AM there was the first hit on the button. I got up and took her to the toilet, and returned to bed. I am one of those people who once awakened it takes me a while, usually about 45 minutes to get back to sleep. So a little before 2 AM I dozed back off. At 3:30 AM came the second hit on the button. I dragged my sleepy butt out of bed and gave her a requested Tylenol for discomfort. This time it took me until almost 5 AM to get back to sleep.

Now, I have raised four children, and had many, many sleepless nights. Most of my babies let me sleep through the night by the time they were just a month old. I only had one who was up every 4 hours...and believe me that was easier than last night.

For some reason the road traffic near my home got particularly noisy at about 6AM this morning...racing motorcycle engines, loud mufflers. I am sure you get the picture, I didn't get much sleep before the third hit occurred at about 7:30 AM.
Time to get up and get busy.

I am a bit of a space cadet right now after dressing, feeding, medicating and exercising my friend. Then I prepared lunch...special request from Lucy today was for Potato Soup. I had already prepared to make Chili, so guess what? We have both!

I have an appointment at 12:30 to see a GEICO representative about the repairs to my car necessitated by the hit and run accident which occurred last Friday. At 2:30 PM the Admissions Nurse from Amedisys will be here to draw blood and assess for home Physical Therapy.

I am trying to figure out how I can get a nap in before dinner time, but I don't think it is going to happen. Sleep deprivation is not my friend. It causes stress which causes gout flares (the current bane of my existence)..my right foot is extremely sore on the outside right. Of course, my right eye is still blurry from the recent surgery, and yikes! I must laugh about all this, or believe me I would cry.

Being a caregiver is difficult work, and many of us who are "baby boomers" are caring for our elderly parents. You need to find time for your self and taking care of your own needs in this process. Sometimes that could be just having a neighbor or friend come in so you could go to a movie or lunch or even just grocery shopping. Sometimes it could be a hired professional caregiver to give you a break so that you and your husband can have a "date." Take care of your "patient", but don't forget that in order to be a good caregiver, you must also take care of yourself.


But in all my complaining about my own stress right now, I am also extremely sympathetic and concerned about a neighbor who is at the hospital with a very debilitated husband who has just been given another difficult diagnosis to deal with. So, like I always say, when you start feeling sorry for yourself you just need to look a little ways to find someone with bigger problems.

So if you have any funny jokes or stories, how about sharing them with me right now?
I could use a few giggles and I will gladly share them in future blogs.

EASY POTATO SOUP RECIPE



Six to eight large potatoes peeled and cut into small cubes
Six ounces of finely cubed ham or canadian bacon
3 large stalks celery finely chopped
1 large onion, finely chopped
48 ounces chicken broth (I use Swanson's)
12 ounces whole milk or half n half
Salt and Black Pepper to taste

In large soup pot, saute onions and celery until translucent, add ham, potatoes, and chicken broth and cook until potatoes are tender.

Depending on whether you like a smooth, creamy soup or a more lumpy soup...you can either puree the potatoes or you may leave them in cube form.

Add cream or milk and heat until hot, but do not boil.

Easy, wholesome and healthy.

Serve with a piece of cornbread and a salad for a perfect Autumn Meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment