Friday, October 7, 2011

Contrary To Popular Belief, I Am NOT Wonder Woman; lighter Chili Corn Chip Pie

This is one of my favorite pictures of my granddaughter and I. We were about to board a cruise ship, and that is always an exciting time for me.

I needed to look at this picture to lift my spirits a bit this morning. I definitely had a rough night last night. Lucy was tired and wanted to go to bed at 8:00 PM. I tried to discourage that, because I could foresee the night to come. I wasn't wrong.

I gave Lucy a pain pill and put her to bed at 8. I went to bed at 9. At Midnight came the first call. She wanted to get up to go to the bathroom. After putting her back to bed I crawled back into my own bed and lay awake until 2 AM.

At 3:30 came the second call. "I need to go to the bathroom." Before putting her back to bed she said, "I want a peanut butter cracker and some Coca Cola." Oh my, so I go get the peanut butter cracker and the Coca Cola and stand there as she eats.
I got back into bed at 4:45, knowing full well it would take me another hour to two hours to go back to sleep again, and since she had to have a Coke, I knew it would just be a matter of time before I was up to take her to the toilet again....and the Physical Therapist was coming at 9. It was 6 before I went to sleep. My phone rang at 8...the physical therapist was calling to tell me she would be here at 9.

The beep came and I was already on my way down the hall so she could have breakfast before therapy. I am completely exhausted. This is worse than having a newborn, and contrary to popular belief, I am NOT Wonder Woman. A tag recently applied by one of the local fireman after he saw me for the umpteenth time helping to load another neighbor into an ambulance.

I am trying to be patient. I had a talk with my sweet husband about my exhaustion and some possible solutions. I finally told Lucy this morning that going to bed at 8 isn't going to work. I also said that if she is actually having to urinate more than once a night something needs to change. I actually got her to admit that she really did not have to pee until after she thought about it after waking...no urgency.

I am not sure where we are headed with this. I may have to hire someone to come and spend nights to assist if I can't get a better routine going. All the stress has caused me to have a gout flare, which is extremely painful, and walking is definitely not fun! I can't even stand the weight of the blanket on my foot. I called my own physician this morning for a prescription for gout, although I have never taken anything for the condition before. I have always controlled it with diet, exercise, water and cherry juice. Not this time. Too much stress and gout don't mix.

So, as I deal with my new care giving situation, and feel my way through these long, long nights, I pray that it won't last for long...and one thing for sure, I am NOT Wonder Woman. I am looking forward to Okaloosa Island for Thanksgiving, I just have to survive until then!

HEALTHIER RECIPE OF THE DAY

Lightened Up, Chili-Corn Chip Pie

Cooking Spray
1 pound ground sirloin
1 1/4 cups chopped onion
6 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon no-salt-added tomato paste
1 cup fat-free lower sodium beef broth
1/3 cup water
1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chiles, undrained
4 ounces lightly salted corn chips (such as Fritos)
1/3 cup (1 1/2 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/4 cup fat free sour cream
1/2 cup diagonally sliced green onion tops

1. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add beef to pan; saute 5 minutes, stirring to crumble. Remove beef; drain. Wipe pan clean with paper towels. Add onion to pan; saute 4 minutes , stirring occasionally. Add garlic saute 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in beef, cumin, pepper and salt.

2. Stir in tomato paste; cook 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Add broth, 1/3 cup water, and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer 15 minutes or until slightly thick, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.

3. Place 1 ounce chips in each of 4 bowls, and top each serving with about 2/3 cup beef mixture, 2 tablespoons cheese, and 1 tablespoon sour cream.

Sprinkle each serving with 2 tablespoons green onions.

Calories 414, Fat 219g, Protein 24.5, Carb 29.2, Fiber 3.2g, Chol 68 mg, Iron 2.6 mg, Sodium 682 mg, calcium 160 mg.

EAT UP!

No comments:

Post a Comment