Thursday, February 2, 2012

Why I Write - For Amy

This is a picture taken this past summer at Okaloosa Island, Florida.  It is my very favorite place in the world!  Somehow, when I cross the bridge across the bay and view the huge expanse of the gloriously emerald green Gulf, I know I have arrived at the place that feels like "home" to me.  I don't live there yet, but plan to in the future.  In fact, I am going shopping for condos next month with a long term plan toward retirement in Okaloosa.  But, that is not why I am writing this particular blog.

I received a comment on my "Before I Wake" blog this morning which touched my heart and brought tears to my eyes.  You see I love to write, but not just for the sake of writing.  I want to reach inside and touch your heart.  I want you to think, to love and to search for answers.  I want you to KNOW that others feel the same way you do.  We all have needs, hurts, desires, loves and dreams.  When something I have written brings joy, comfort, peace or any type of stirring within another individual, I have succeeded in my quest. 

When I look out across the beautiful Emerald Green Gulf, I witness a mystery.  I feel closer to God when I am on the ocean/gulf than anywhere on earth.  You see, it has such beauty and power and mystery.  We see only the very surface of that Gulf.  There is so much beneath it that moves and lives and thrives.  There is such power in the tides and waves which beat against the shore in an endless, pounding and relentless way.  Stones are ground into sand and buildings washed into the sea by the power of that tremendous force.  My God is an AWESOME God!  The Gulf and the ocean can be so flat, mirror-like and calm at times, and then in an instant they seas can rise and become fearsome and violent!  Our God has that kind of power, strength and mystery.  The kind of mystery I see in the ocean/Gulf. 


 And, by the way dear Amy, Okaloosa Island is a perfect spot for a solo getaway.  It is peaceful, beautiful and yet close to anything you might want such as restaurants and shopping.  But, my favorite thing about Okaloosa Island is that quality of peace and connection which seems difficult to get in our everyday world.  Go there and enjoy the peace...God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment