Thursday, March 15, 2012

The Age of Aquarius


"When the Moon is in the Seventh House
And Jupiter aligns with Mars,
Then Peace will guide the Planet
And Love will fill the stars."



Have you hummed that tune?  Have you even heard this tune by the Fifth Dimension?  As I look around me and read Social Media today, I am disappointed that the "Age of Aquarius."

If you don’t follow astrology,  (and I don't by the way) you may have no idea what the Age of Aquarius is. Basically, each of the twelve different astrological signs has an age associated with it. These ages change over time depending on which of the signs appears during the morning of the spring equinox. Currently, most people agree that we are in the Age of Pisces. The Age of Aquarius 2012 theory states that the new age will start on December 21, 2012, the last day of the Mayan Long Count calendar. However, there is actually some debate on this.
The idea of the Age of Aquarius ushering in some new and great human era is not new. In fact, it has been around since the early 1900s. Back then, new age cultist Aleister Crowley, the man behind the mystical Order of the Golden Dawn, believed that the Age of Aquarius began in 1904 and that he personally brought it about. Other notable historical figures give different dates. Carl Jung places the age’s beginning as sometime between 1997 and 2000. Sir Isaac Newton, Rob Hand, and Dane Rudyhar all say 2060. If you count from the birth of Christ, the age begins in 2160 (this is the number of years it takes for the constellation to change during the spring equinox, so a new age always begins every 2,160 years).

Interesting, but that isn't really my point here.  I woke up humming that tune this morning, and wondered why we have failed to come any farther in Peace and Love.  The world certainly does not seem more peaceful than it did when the Fifth Dimension sang that song in 1967.  When it was written we were at war in Viet Nam and our boyfriends, husbands and fathers were ten thousand miles away fighting in a very controversial war.  

Here we are in 2012 and our boyfriends, husbands and fathers and now even girlfriends, wives and mothers are off fighting in yet another in a long string of wars.  Will it ever end?  Probably not.
What is even sadder is the fact that as I read Facebook and other social media sites, I find that people are LESS kind and less generous and more greedy than at any point in my lifetime.  Thank God there are a few exceptions, but overall it is not impressive.

I have watched people post statements like,  "Why should I care about whether they can afford a heart transplant for that child down the street?  I have insurance on my kids."  Really?  It doesn't matter that the mother down the street is working two jobs and still can't afford insurance, thus her child will die because of lack of medical care?  Really?  What we should be saying is, "but for the Grace of God, there go I and my children!"  I recently learned that in a County just north of us, Monroe County, Georgia, there are THREE HUNDRED homeless children currently in their school system.  I find this horrifying.  This is just one county in one state.  Children all over this Country are going hungry as we suffer from an epidemic of obesity.  What is wrong with this picture?

No, I don't believe in "handouts" as such to those who are unwilling to work or unwilling to take care of their own.  I do however believe that we have a responsibility to our fellow humans who are less able to take care of themselves.  This has become such a greed oriented world that we hear more horrifying stories every day of people stealing (on a corporate level as well as the street thugs) from others to support their lifestyles.  When I see film of people pushing and shoving each other to the ground to get a "bargain" at one of those "door buster" sales, it sickens me.  What is wrong? Where is the "Age of Aquarius?"  Where is that day when PEACE will guide the planet.

Unfortunately, it certainly isn't now, and I am afraid that I will never see us grow any closer to it during my lifetime.  I only pray that SOMETHING will turn this around before my children and grandchildren are old.  Let's lift up the people of the world who give something back.  Let's make them the heroes instead of all of those movie stars and high dollar sports athletes who are idolized.  We need to idolize the givers of this world instead of the takers.  

What have you given lately?  I'm not talking about money.  I'm talking about volunteering your time and talents; and if you have been blessed with an abundance of money, that too!  We live in an age where it seems to be more important to have five bathrooms in a home where only two people live than it is to care about starving children in your own neighborhood.  

Yes, this is a pretty heavy topic for my "light hearted commentary", but I am burdened this morning with a heart heavy for the importance of sharing love.  I am sickened by the political mess on the television with each candidate accusing the other and denegrating the other.  Aren't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment