Friday, April 6, 2012

Seasonal Traditions


Dyeing Easter Eggs has been a tradition for me since.....well, since I can ever remember.  I can remember the wonderful Easter Egg Hunts we had as children with all our cousins.  Oh my, what fun!  We didn't used to get our Easter Baskets until Monday.  Easter Sunday was the day we went to Church to Celebrate Easter.

Easter Monday was the day the kids had Easter fun.  The Egg Roll on The White House Lawn is still held on Monday.  So, although some of the timing of the tradition has changed (many Churches and other organizations now have egg hunts on Saturday) we are still celebrating Easter by dyeing and hunting those brightly colored eggs. 

I hate those plastic eggs they use now for egg hunts.  There is nothing like those real dyed eggs and all the mess that led up to the hiding of them.  First the boiling, then the mixing of all those colors.  I can remember when it was just food coloring and vinegar and it worked just fine.  Now, there are all sorts of tablets, and transfers and stickers and marbelizing and glitter.  Oh My!

Yesterday I boiled four dozen eggs for the grandchildren to color today.  I picked up the three youngest for a Pizza lunch and then took them to the house to carry on our traditional egg coloring event.  They just love it.  I got tickled by my sixteen-year-old grandson who accepted pizza but respectfully declined egg dyeing.  I think that is a sign of the times.  I can remember one very special Easter so many, many years ago when I and my seventeen-year-old boyfriend blew out eggs and dyed and painted them.  His Mother was delighted and we had a wonderful time!  I wish I still had those special eggs.  I will never forget that day.


CJ, Ashlyn and Alivia really had a great time dyeing eggs today.  They used colored dye, marbeling dye and crayons.  They actually managed not to get any on themselves or the house, and the only person who broke an egg was Granma!  We giggled, and colored the afternoon away and shared memories that I hope they will carry long into their own adulthood.  Memories that I hope they will share with their own children and grandchildren. 

I hope that all of you have a wonderful Easter, and on this Holy Weekend between the egg coloring and the cooking, please focus on the real meaning of Easter and the Sacrifice which gave us life everlasting. 

A SPECIAL EASTER RECIPE

BeDeviled Eggs


(for all those boiled eggs)

12 Eggs, boiled and peeled
2 TBSP Yellow Mustard
1/4 cup Mayonnaise
2 Tablespoons sweet Pickle Relish
1/3 cup ham salad (can use canned deviled ham if you wish)

Peel and slice eggs in half, scooping out yolks into medium mixing bowl.
Add Mustard, Mayonnaise, Relish and Ham Salad and mix thoroughly.
Fill Egg white shapes with the mixture, using a pastry tube or spoon

For a Cutie Pie of an Easter Egg, you can make "chicks" out of them by cutting the eggs as they are illustrated above.  Too cute and even your little ones will eat them when they look this good!!

God Bless - Peace, Love and Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment