Saturday, April 28, 2012

Up, Up and Away!

The Air Show at Robins Air Force Base is happening this weekend.  This show occurs every two years in Warner Robins.  For the past two days those of us who live nearby have been treated to a "preview" of what is to come this weekend.

It is amazing to see these skilled pilots in their flying machines zooming overhead.  All along the roadways near the base, people have been pulling over to watch as they rehearse for the show this weekend.  They will put on a beautiful show as usual and parents and children alike will be amazed at their formation feats.  The sounds of their engines are incredible as they split the blue sky with their speed. 

It is fun to watch these performances.  It is awe inspiring.  It is also part of what makes little boys and girls aspire to grow up and become members of the Air Force.  This is probably the best recruiting tool the Air Force has.  All those children will be watching this weekend as the jets roar and soar overhead and each of them will wish they could be inside one of those magnificent machines.  Heck, I wish I could be in one myself.  I actually have a private pilot's license, and I used to love flying myself, but I can only imagine the thrill of commanding the power in these magnificent jets.

The air show will be beautiful and the weather is going to be perfect.  My little granddaughters are looking forward to going to the show today.  But, as I think of the show and the pilots, I am reminded of the seriousness of the jobs of most of the pilots flying jets in the Air Force today.  Wherever they are in the world, these young men are responsible not only for their machines, but for the safety of every man, woman and child in this Country.  They have an awesome responsibility.  Most of them are quite young.  In fact, when I see these young pilots around town, I am amazed at how young they look.  They seem hardly more than children. 

So, today wherever you are, remember to say a little prayer of thanks to all of those who "protect and serve."  As we watch the jets roar overhead I am humbled as I remember what they represent.  My prayers are with them and their families as they soar up, up and away whether they are performing a "show" or fighting a war. 


No comments:

Post a Comment