Monday, September 10, 2012

Getting It Together

I'm packing again tonight to leave in the morning for Okaloosa Island.  My anticipation is always so great the night before that I can not sleep.  I love the Island. 

Today was the day I had to go back to the Travel Clinic in Bibb County to get my booster for Japanese Encephalitis and I also got my yearly Flu shot.  Boy, I thought it was bad when I had to pay $339 last time, but the second Encephalitis shot today was $222.  Good Grief!  I hate pharmaceutical companies.  They hold every one of us hostage with their exhorbitant prices on medications.  No two shots can be worth more than $400.  Plus, insurance will not pay for these injections since I would not need them if I were not traveling overseas.  

I am very excited about the upcoming trip to Shanghai and Bejing, as well as Bangkok, Koh Sumai and Phuket!  I am now up to snuff on all my injections, but will have to have one more booster on the Hepatitis A shot in six months.  The shots were not REQUIRED, but from what I have read, I wouldn't want Japanese Encephalitis, and after my Whooping Cough experience this Summer, I am feeling a bit vulnerable.  That is why I also chose to go and get my Flu Shot today.  I am taking all the protective measures I can.

I also ordered Pyrethrin today to spray on our clothing which we will wear if we enter the jungle areas.  We don't want to be bitten by mosquitoes, which can carry Malaria.  We will be taking anti-malarial drugs with us as well as some antibiotics and anti-diarrheal drugs.
Sounds like a lot of preparation, but this should be a "bucket list" adventure for all of us!

I just love traveling, no matter where it is.  I love learning about the customs and history of people around the world.  I love seeing all the variety of scenery which has been laid out for our enjoyment.  We are flying over Coach, and coming back First Class...I'm feeling extraordinarily spoiled with all of this.  This trip is one I would never have been able to make without my son Charles providing the opportunity.  It is definitely the adventure of a lifetime.

We are planning on leaving here December 3rd.  The time will pass quickly between now and then because I have a lot to do this Fall.  I will be going to Okaloosa the end of October to volunteer as a nurse at an Iron Man competition.  Then we will be going back to Okaloosa for the Thanksgiving Holiday, and a Mannheim Steamroller Concert in Pensacola!  I love love love Mannheim Steamroller's Christmas concerts, they are absolutely amazing. 

We will return from Okaloosa November 28th and then I am leaving on December 3rd!Whew, I am going to be busy!  In January I am leaving again to join two friends on a Caribbean Cruise to Jamaica, Labadee Haiti and Grand Caymen.   I am going with best friends Trish and Roberta and we will have such a grand time.

Boy, this Fall and Winter are going to fly by.  I will have lots to blog about for sure, and hope to have lots and lots of pictures to share with all of you. 

I have learned that packing may be interesting, since December in China is going to be COLD but in Thailand HOT!  I may need to buy some long johns! 

Well, that's all for tonight, but I will keep in touch.  Lots of exciting things coming up, but for now I am headed to Okaloosa and the peace and joy I relish there. 

GOD BLESS - Peace, Love and Joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment