Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Bubblicious And Other Silly Words

It is so delightful how children always make up silly words for things.  On a trip to the beach a couple years ago, I was walking down the hall behind my three-year-old granddaughter who had on a ruffle seated bathing suit.  I became tickled at the way she was switching down the hall, and said, "look at that switchy little butt!"  She turned around and gave me one of her severe looks and said, "I am NO smoochiebutt!"  Well, you guessed it, she is forevermore smoochiebutt in my opinion!

But, I have always felt great creative license in making up words which just seem to fit a situation.  My family frequently makes fun of me for this, but I just kind of think about it as "word art."  Why not?
In fact it seems that in recent years many others have adopted this word corruption to fit their needs.  Bootylicious?  too funny!  Yummo! a Rachael Ray favorite.  And, I guess the most famous of all, supercalifragilisticexpialadocious!  Not sure I spelled that one right, but I am sure you get the message.

It' s all about being creative, enjoying life and just plain having fun.  It's that inner child thing again.  C'mon now, go for it!  Don't be afraid to be creative with your wordmaking.   It really can be great fun, and who knows, it might just be the next word in the dictionary!!


No comments:

Post a Comment