Thursday, August 30, 2012

I Wonder Why?

The storm was on its way.  They knew it was coming.  They were told to evacuate. Why oh why did they stay?  Oh, I can understand that it is difficult to leave your home behind and not know what will be left when you come back.  I can understand how difficult it is to try and choose how to prepare, what to take, what to do with the pets....I really do, but....

Nothing is more precious than human life. Why is it that time after time when people are told to evacuate they stay behind and risk their lives and the lives of their children to "ride out" the storm?  A hurricane of even a Category 1 status is a formidable thing.  This time, it isn't the wind that is the most fearsome, but the water.  I have huge respect for water.  Perhaps because I have spent so much time on it and near it.  It can be calm and mirror-like one moment and whipped into 8 foot waves and a frenzy in a matter of minutes!  It is powerful and unforgiving.  It is beautiful and yet deadly!

Time after time we see individuals remain behind when they have been warned to leave areas, they remain behind.  They often endanger their own children. I think the thing that upsets me most is that they endanger the lives of others, not only their children, but those who are called to rescue them.

There are so many brave individuals who go out into the storm to rescue those who did not follow evacuation orders or take precautions to protect themselves and their families.  Some would say, "they didn't have the money to evacuate" or make other excuses, but these people could have made contact with authorities and made arrangements to be evacuated BEFORE they were in imminent danger. 

There is so much loss and tragedy when these storms come ashore.  I feel sorry for so many who have lost so much.  But, I really do wish that people would consider the risk that rescuers take to pluck them out of danger before it is too late!

When I was a child, my father was a Fire Chief.  We were always taught how to escape the house in case of a fire.  When I go into a building, theater, hotel or whatever to this day, I am always looking for the exits and the best way to escape in case of an emergency.
PLANNING is critical to survival.  Common sense dictates that you need a PLAN.

So, when the order comes to evacuate, and you have to do it quickly, have a plan in place. Know where you want to go and how you are going to get there.  Don't have an empty gasoline tank or no bus fare.  Do have something set aside for emergency. And God Bless those amazing rescuers who go out time after time to pick up those who have failed to plan for disaster.


GOD BLESS!  Peace, Love and Joy


No comments:

Post a Comment